These are confusing, anxiety-filled, and uncertain times for all of us. But this does not mean that the important work of Compass Affordable Housing has stopped. Our services just look a little different during this time of uneasiness. Here is what we are doing to serve our tenants and Community Housing participants during this pandemic:
- We are not evicting tenants who lose their jobs from CAH-owned communities! Our mission is to help people build housing stability and we stand by that.
- Where possible, we have implemented no-contact food delivery to low-income households.
- While maintaining our social distance, we are hosting daily phone contact with tenants and households we serve in all of our programs to provide resources and encouragement.
- We are advocating for Community Housing participants living in other complexes with landlords and employers.
- We are proactively reaching out to CAH tenants, Community Housing participants and former clients with crisis resources and information updates.
- We are collaborating with other community organizations to assist as many people as possible.
- In order to observe social distancing, we had to suspend Your Healthy Home Market* temporarily. During this time, we are delivering the food typically distributed to tenants on market day to a local soup kitchen and a women’s shelter that feed the many they serve each day.
*What is the Your Healthy Home Market?
The Your Healthy Home Market (YHHM) is an exciting monthly event that gives tenants access to healthy produce, grains, protein and herbs. As part of each YHHM, we offer nutrition classes that teach tenants how to plan a healthier diet, shop and stretch their food budgets, store and cook fresh produce, enjoy easy, healthy exercise, etc. At the end of each monthly nutrition class, our tenants “shop” for free, healthy food at the market.